Life Membership and Meritorious Service Award
The Board of the Association decided that there were many people who have supported
the Association over the 40+ years since it was formed in 1965, and that there needs
to be a way in which these people are recognised and thanked.
As a result, a special award has been decided upon and it is called a Meritorious
The ultimate recognition of Honorary Life Membership is considered over and above the Meritorious Service Award. People
who receive this award are very special people and consequently there are only a
few of them and their contribution stands out from all others.
The Board believe that the members of the Association should be involved in nominating
people for these awards. Consequently, anyone who would like to nominate someone
for either Life Membership or a Meritorious Services Award is invited to contact
us to receive a nomination form which must be completed prior to being referred
to the Board.
Nominations for these awards need to be in writing and received by the Association
before July 31 each year. All nominations will be referred to the Board for the
final decision. All decisions made by the Board regarding these awards are confidential.
As a guide, the following are seen as the minimum that a person being nominated
for an award must satisfy. Remember that these awards are intended to recognise
the services and support of very special people.
People who are eligible for Life Membership are those who:
- Have given or who are giving exceptional service to the Association or to people
who have Spina Bifida and/or Hydrocephalus.
- Must have provided or have been providing this exceptional service for a period
of not less than 5 years.
- Must be or have been active in the promotion of the Association's objectives.
- Must not be a current employee of the Association.
People who are eligible for the Meritorious Services Award are those who:
- Have made or are still making a significant contribution to the work of the
- Have been involved with the Association for at least 5 years.
- Are not a current employee of the Association.
Please contact the Association if you would like to discuss this or if you would
like to nominate someone for either of these awards.
Remember: The Board will make the final decision and so it would be wise not to
tell the person who you are nominating. Besides it may spoil the surprise!